Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Been-to


"I did not know how easy the coming would be. I have been with you in dreams and night wishes, but often this was only when the world was not going well with me. Aches and fears and troubles brought my thoughts running to you.

I am confessing to you now. Be kind to me: a new child coming back to you. You knew me ready to die again and enter this world those here above think so real, this world which you know is only the passing flesh of everything that lasts, the soul of our people.

Coming home to you put fear into me at times. Do not laugh at me. I did not see you clearly, and I had been so long in this other world that I had no idea but fear. I am here against the last of my veils. Take me. I am ready. You are the end. The beginning. You have have no end. I am coming."

Ayi Kwei Armah
Fragments, 1969

The flow of artists between Africa and the West is seen as one way: outa here! In recent years however we've sen a handful of artists returning, choosing to work on the continent. Riffing off Brice Wassy's observation that "something got lost" and the need to rediscover it from Africa, a look at Wanlov The Kubolor, Faustin Linyekula and well, more, more.. future etc.

*In Fragments (1971), the protagonist, Baako, is a "been-to", a man who has been to the United States and received his education there.

No comments:

Post a Comment